Structure of the new test:
NEXT GENERATION TOEFL iBT
|Section||Content||Number of Questions||Approximate Time|
|3 Passages2 Conversation + 4 Lectures2 Independent tesks + 4 integrated – skill tasks
1 integrated – skill task +
1 independent tesks
|36-4234 60 Minutes6
|60 Minutes60 Minutes20 Minutes
Reading Section :
You will be tested on your comprehension of ideas, important information, vocabulary and relationship among ideas in the passages.
- 3-5 passages, 36-70 questions.
- Time limit: 60-100 min.
- The computer will give you one question at a time. However, by clicking on the Review button, you may return to any previous question to review or change your answer.
- For some questions you might earn more than 1 point
Listening Section :
You will be tested on your comprehension of the general ideas and supporting details of the conversations and lectures.
- 2 conversations; 4 lectures; 34-51 questions.
- Time limit: 60 -90 min.
- You will hear the conversations and lectures only once. However, you may take notes on paper while you listen and you may use your notes to help you answer the questions. Remember you cannot go back to the previous question once you have clicked the OK button.
- For some questions you might earn more than 1 point.
- The speaking section measures your ability to speak in English about a variety of topics. The format of the speaking section is given below.
- Time limit: 20 min.
- You may take notes on paper, and you may use them to answer your questions.
|Question||Reading Time||Listening Time||Preparation Time||Speaking Time|
|Independent Task 1
Independent Task 2Integrated Task 1 Reading +
Listening +SpeakingIntegrated Task 2 Reading +
Listening+ SpeakingIntegrated Task 3 Listening+ Speaking
Integrated Task 4 Listening+ Speaking
-45 Seconds45 Seconds-
-1-2 Minutes1-2 Minutes1-2 Minutes
15 Seconds30 Seconds30 Seconds20 Seconds
45 Seconds60 Seconds60 Seconds60 Seconds
Writing Section :
- The writing section measures your ability to plan and write responses to questions in essay format. There are two questions in the writing section. Integrated: Reading+ Listening+ Writing Independent task : Writing an essay
- Time limit: Integrated: 20 min Independent task: 30 min.
- You may take notes on paper during both the tasks, and may use them to answer your questions. You will have to type your responses to both the tasks on the computer screen. You will not be allowed to write your responses by hand.