Requirements for F-1 Visa:
If the foreign student advisory believes you have the resources necessary for study in the US, he or she will send you a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant [F-1] Student Status). You will need to submit this form with your application for a student visa to the American embassy or consulate. You will also have to provide proof of proficiency in English (unless you are enrolling in a language program).
You will also need:
- Form DS-156 (Non-Immigrant Visa form available from US consular offices),
- A passport (valid up to at least 6 months after the completion of your course),
- A 1-1/2 inch square (passport size) photograph (37 mm x 37 mm) showing full face against a light background,
- Financial documentation (including both solid & liquid assets) & annual income of the sponsor if any
- Visa processing fee.
The following documents of non-immigrant intent can bolster your case further :
- Letter from the prospective employer.
- Reference from somebody known to you who has returned to India after his masters. Requirement for your masters in your native country.
Non-immigrant visa application fee (non-refundable) US $131
Visa fees are payable only via Demand Draft drawn on a national or international bank. The draft should favor of:
For New Delhi – ‘US Embassy New Delhi’
Chennai, Mumbai – ‘US Consulate General’ (as the city may be)
Please write your complete name and passport number on the back of each draft.
Courier/Processing fee (payable by all applicants) RS. 400
Courier/Processing fees may be paid in cash